Friday, November 4, 2011

International Stout Day



In honor of International Stout Day, I treated myself to a couple of these delicious dark beers over dinner last night.  I had seen Young’s Double Chocolate Stout in my local bevy and was looking for an opportunity to try one.  So instead I tried two: one in bottle and one in a can. 
The can contains a small spherical “widget” for increased carbonation.  Actually, it’s pressurized  with nitrogen gas, which creates smaller bubbles than CO2 and no degradation like oxygen gas would.  The nitro gets into the plastic widget through a tiny hole and when the can is opened the pressure is released and tiny bubbles stream out of the widget and into the beer.  Let’s see if it makes a difference:

Wells & Young’s web site states that they are the largest brewer in the UK which owns dozens of pubs serving their beers throughout the country. Their beer is brewed with Crystal and Chocolate Malt, a special blend of sugars, Fuggle and Golding hops, real dark chocolate and chocolate essence (whatever that means).

Young’s in a bottle pours much like a Guinness with a nice fluffy head that sticks around. It has a nice chocolaty aroma which is also evident in the taste.  The carbonation tickles the tongue and a nice coffee bitterness lingers after swallowing.  This beer tastes very much to me like a Guinness with a hint of chocolate added. Watch Wells & Young's brewmaster describe his stout

Young’s in a can pours like a chocolate water fall.  The churning waves of chocolate make this beer very inviting.  It’s topped by a nice uniform head of tiny bubbles.  The nose is coffee and not as much chocolate as the bottle.  The taste is just as sweet though and the velvety mouth feel gives me the sensation of drinking a melted chocolate shake.  There is a mellow after taste not found in the bottle.

In the end, the sweet tooth in me preferred the can.  Anything that can taste like ice cream and beer at the same time gets my vote.  I also liked its smooth and mellow character.  I can see why others might not like this delivery method as much.  The bottle tastes more like a classic beer.  So I guess, as is usually the case, you are going to have to try them for yourself and decide which is the best for your taste buds.  Happy Stout Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment