Friday, September 16, 2011

Let's Get Stoopid

Hop Stoopid Ale, that is. This is an Imperial IPA from Lagunitas Brewing Company in California that caught my eye. I’m generally not a big fan of Imperial IPA’s due to the high ABV which I often find to be overpowering, but in this case the taste hides it almost completely.
The pour is a clear golden color with a half inch white head, it is an extremely sweet smelling beer, beautiful hops and citrus aromas. It smells so fresh! The medium body and carbonation is what you would expect for the type, but the taste – wow. At first you’re hit with a powerful bitterness (102 IBU!) accompanied by a wonderful creaminess courtesy of the lingering head. I taste piney grapefruit with a little bit of caramel that then moves to a malty sweetness followed by a nice dry finish. I don’t detect a hint of booziness..
I poured this from a 22 oz. bomber that cost only $4.49 at Half-Time, in Poughkeepsie, NY. Quite a bargain!  At that price you might be tempted to have a second, but be careful, you might not be able to taste the alcohol, but it’s there…If you do have a second you may start to feel a little…stoopid.

No comments:

Post a Comment