Thursday, September 15, 2011

Firestone Union Jack - India Pale Ale

I'm not a big IPA drinker but I have come across so many IPA lovers that I decided to try a beer that gets raves from many of my friends: Firestone Union Jack.  This Californian beer is brewed in a unique way using oak barrels that impart some of its complex flavors.  If you're interested, like I was, you can find out more about the brewery and the brewing process here
The Union Jack pours gold with slight head.  The first taste is crisp and refreshing with a bit of a bite up front.  It is hoppy in a good way, not overpowering me with its bitterness. After swallowed, this beer leaves a bitter taste on back of my tongue. There is a sourness that lingers like grapefruit juice.  My tongue is left tingling.  After the tingle dies down, I find my tongue asking for more.  It reminds me of when I see someone battle down a hot pepper and then shortly after crave for more.  It’s a sensation that begs for a repeat engagement.
I even feel this beer up in my sinuses like a menthol lozenge.  It seems to clear my sinuses in the same way.  This IPA is very different from the sweet, malty brews I typically lean toward.  But I can see the attraction.  It hits very different senses in the palate and can be just as pleasing.

Union Jack also holds up well to strong tasting food.  In this case, the gourmet tuna melt sandwich I made for dinner. I can't say that I've become an IPA lover myself, but I will definitely be more open to these complex brews in the future.

1 comment: