Saturday, March 17, 2012

Wheat beers are Back!

Spring is starting to show itself here in the North East.  The days are warmer, the robins have returned from their winter vacations and wheat beers have returned to the shelves of my local beverage store.  Last summer, I proudly declared my l love for fruit flavored brews on a friend’s beer blog.  I also reviewed several excellent examples on this blog.  Now, I’m going to introduce you to offerings from two of the most popular craft beer breweries in this area: Ithaca Beer Co. and Troegs Brewing Co.

Dream Weaver Wheat Beer from Troegs in Harrisburg, PA is a nice drinkable beer.  It is not a true “fruit” beer because no fruit is added during the brewing process.  But, like many wheat beers, it has sweet fruit-like overtones.  This one has a banana and citrus taste that is very appealing.  With a 4.8% ABV it is the kind of beer you can bring to a cook out and have more than one.

Ithaca Apricot Wheat is brewed in our own upstate New York.  It has a wonderful floral nose and pours a pale gold. It carries a foamy white head that lasts throughout its short time in my glass.  The taste is not overly fruity; just an apricot finish that lingers and drives me to another sip.  This is one of the most popular beers in this class and it is easy to see why.  With its nice light taste and 4.9 % ABV, it’s sure make its way into my outdoor beer drinking arsenal this season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment