Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Hoppin’ Frog Silk Porter

The weather here in New York has taken a turn for the worse and it feels like we are back in March again.  It’s cold and drizzly with no sign of the sun for the last couple of days.  It’s the perfect time to break into a porter!  The Hoppin’ Frog Silk Porter is brewed in Akron, Ohio and I bought it back in January to warm the cold nights. It’s a 22oz bomber with a 6.2% ABV that set me back $8.29.  So I’m expecting big things. 
Here’s the report: 

Pour: Completely opaque, dark as motor oil

Head: Foamy and tan head that leaves a healthy lace after a few minutes

Nose:  Slight chocolate that is followed by a taco smell

Taste : Toasty, trying to be chocolate by not quite achieving it. Not bad, just not enough chocolate to make me happy.  A little toasty bitterness lingers in my mouth which is not unpleasant (“Like”)

Mouth feel:  Definitely lives up to its name: silky as can be.
Overall: Nice drinking experience.  Misses the mark by just a bit.  I’m thinking that the age might have something to do with it.  The bottle says “Keep Refrigerated” which I did not heed.  Though it has been stored in my garage which hasn't been above 50 degrees.  Still, I’d love to have another fresh one to compare it to right now while its fresh in my mind.  I will have to find one and give it a taste before the weather warms up and I’m on to lighter beers for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Great Porter! I actively seek this one out whenever I get within a state that has a distributor.

    ReplyDelete